Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Aelyn Rhen



What an incredible 24 hours. Aelyn Rhen was born in our home at 6:13am on 6.30.09. She weighed 9 pounds 6 ounces and was 20 3/4 inches long.



On Monday morning I woke up at 5am with a strong contraction and told Ryan I felt like the baby would come that day. By mid morning I had bloody show and lost a lot of mucous. I had sporadic contractions throughout the day but none were really strong or what I would call real labor. I was talking with my mom at 9:45 in the evening and my water broke.



Contractions didn't pick up until after midnight. I sat in the bath and labored for hours which was wonderful. My contractions were 3-5 minutes apart but not strong. The midwife arrived around 1:30am. Ryan and I were able to labor alone upstairs and it was amazing......and painful.



When the midwife checked me for the first time I was a full ten cm dilated.  Pushing for an hour was the most challenging part. Ryan was a fabulous coach and encourager.



We were still looking up names on line in between contractions.  I was completely surprised we were having a girl.  I had several blue items washed and ready to go:)  What a fun surprise!



My midwife prepared a healing herbal bath for me following birth which was amazing. I'm feeling great and I love being in the comfort of my own home to nap and heal. Aelyn hasn't nursed great today but she has cuddled like a champ.



I am beyond thankful that my shingles cleared up like they did so I could have Aelyn at home.



Ethan and Ellia stayed the night at my parents last night and they didn't know we had the baby. Ethan walked into our room and saw me holding the baby and his eyes got huge. He said, "I didn't even know you had the baby!" The kids asked many questions about how she came out and it was so fun to see them love on her.



We gave Ethan and Ellia gifts in celebration of becoming a big brother again and a big sister.



Ethan received a Leap Frog game that I thought he would enjoy while I feed the baby in the coming weeks. I bought Ellia a baby sling to carry her baby in. I just wrapped up a baby she already had in some "real" baby clothes. It was fun to see their excitment!



All the grandparents have enjoyed snuggling on Aelyn and playing with Ethan and Ellia. What a fun celebration of life!

7 comments:

Naenay1012 said...

I am so happy for you all. She is beautiful. The kids looked thrilled. You are a brave woman having her at home.

Stacey said...

Yay!!! I was thinking of you today and had to check the blog tonight to see if there was any news! Congratulations!

Tsquared417 said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! I was thinking about you throughout our two days of meetings. I love her name. I hope you get some rest.

Stephenie said...

Hilarious- I was wondering when you picked out the name. I was feeling bad b/c I had never asked you what you were going to name her- here you figured it out while you were in labor- I love it!!!
The pictures are great, and she is so beautiful and already photogenic!!! No doubt you will have a ton of fun taking great pictures of her. I can't wait to have a photo shoot of her and Faith- hopefully we'll do a better job getting around to it w/ our daughters than we did for ourselves and our prego bellies!
Also- when I saw you today I totally forgot about the shingles- I can't believe how your skin has healed!!! PRAISE GOD! You look wonderful!!!!
Last but not least- I love you and am so proud of you!!!!
Love,
Steph

Tara said...

Congrats to all of you, she's beautiful. I'm so glad that everything went so smoothly, what a wonderful experience.

Carrie (Mansfield) Afanador said...

Congratulations - you have a beautiful family!

dragomir family said...

Haylee, I love that you birthed within the comfort of your home. How awesome is that! You are such an inspiration and one brave woman!

Aelyn is beauiful and I love her name. I love that you found her name in the middle of laboring. I got a good laugh at that one!

What a beautiful birth! Thanks for sharing your experience. And, Aelyn is a doll! Enjoy her! :)