Friday, March 6, 2009

Rawlicious!




This week I took Ethan and Ellia to Goodwill to spend some of their chore money from their "spend" jars. (again, Dave Ramsey) We enjoyed a fun trip there and I was pleased with our bargain finds. I collect white glass and especially hobnail. I found this cute planter for 50 cents that I'd like to grow an herb in! I also found the cute little jars for 29 cents. I use these to put salad dressing in when we are on the run or having a picnic.


The weather is warming up a bit and we are beyond thrilled! We enjoyed a picnic on the town square during my lunch break. It felt great to get some sunshine and see the kids running around like crazy people:)






This is a picture of the to die for raw cheesecake I made. Even Ryan said it was amazing! These recipes are taken from Ani's Raw Food Kitchen by Ani Phyo

The Real Cheezecake

Crust
1 1/2 cups macadamia nuts
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup pitted dates
1/4 cup shredded coconut

Filling
3 cups cashews
3/4 cup lemon juice ( I used four lemons
3/4 cup agave syrup
3/4 cup coconut oil
1 vanilla bean(I used about a tsp of ground vanilla bean)
1/2 cup water, as needed

To make crust, process the macadamia nuts into small pieces with salt in the food processor. Slowly add dates and mix well.
"Flour" the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan with the shredded coconut. Press crust evenly onto hte bottom of the pan. Set aside.

To make filling, blend cashews, lemon juice, agave, coconut oil, and vanilla in your blender. Add just enough water to blend into a smooth kream. Pour into springform pan and place int he freezer until firm.
Before serving, take cake out of freezer and remove from the pan while frozen. Place cake on a plate and defrost in the refrigerator for an hour before serving.

Will keep in fridge for five days, and in freezer for more than a week.



Carob Sauce

1/2 cup pitted dates
1 cup water, plus more as needed
1/2 cup carob powder
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Blend dates with water and carob powder until smooth. Add olive oil and more water as needed to make a thick syrup. This is yummy to dip bananas or apples in too:)

Will keep in fridge for 6 days.

This is obviously the type of food that still needs to be eaten in moderation! It's just nice to have a sweet option when I'm craving it:)

2 comments:

Naenay1012 said...

It does look tasty.

Mark Thogmartin said...

Haylee, I've enjoyed scrolling through your blogs. You are so industrious and I admire that. I'd like to try out this cheescake!