Monday, March 2, 2009

Raw Journey




The past two years have been a journey toward healthy living for me. Early this year a family member was very ill with Crohn's Disease. I began reading about disease and the American Diet. I quickly realized that the U.S. was top of the charts when it comes to medical conditions. I started reading clinical studies out of the UK dealing with specific diseases, diet, medication, etc.. This led me to learn about the raw diet and how eating this way can heal cardiac disease, diabetes, intestinal disease, auto immune diseases, and the list goes on. A year ago I gave up sugar for lent and then transitioned into eating 80% raw. Then last June I started eating 100% raw. I gave it up during the sick stage of my pregnancy and now I'm back to it! I can't even begin to describe the energy difference I feel when eating this way. The most exciting part is that it is a journey of discipline and many blessings have come through that. I have friends around me doing this which helps, considering this is a counter cultural way to eat, it's nice to have support. I imagine I'll have other times in life where I go back to eating more cooked foods but I love that I know how I feel eating this way! The food is beautiful and fun to make.

I have a few pieces of necessary equipment for doing this long term. My food processor was a gift from my grandparents and I use it daily! I have a blender that's not so nice and I'd like to save for a better one-but I still use it a lot! I also have a dehydrator that I saved up my fun money(Dave Ramsey:) ) for and bought on Ebay for a little over $100.00 for everything I needed with it. I also have a juicer that was given to us and is wonderful because I like to drink fresh juice each morning. Usually it's a carrot juice of sorts and I add kale, spinach, celery, cucumber, or beet. Might sound like a yucky breakfast but it tastes so sweet to me and like pure nutrition:) I can make many things with the carrot pulp.
This is a carrot cake I love!



Raw Carrot Cake
5 cups carrot pulp
1 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
2 1/4 cups pitted dates

2 3/4 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
1 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg

3 tsp ground cinnamon


Frosting

1 1/2 cups raw cashews

juice of 1 lemon(about 2 TBS)
2 TBS raw agave
1/2 cup water



Grind sunflower seeds in processor. Add dates. Scoop into bowl with carrot pulp. Add cinnamon and nutmeg. Place cashews, lemon juice, agave, and H2O in blender. Blend until smooth. Press cake into spring form pan. Frost and serve. Will keep in refrigerator for four days.






I also make pizza bread out of the pulp. I use it for veggie sandwiches(picture at top), "pizza"(picture above), or just to compliment a salad.


Pizza Bread

2 cups ground flax
1 cup soaked almonds, ground fine
2 cups carrot pulp
1 cup diced red pepper
1/2 TBS minced garlic
1/4 cup parsley
1/2 cup cilantro
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp oregano
2 tsp italian seasoning
1 TBS fresh onion
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup water
1 cup sun dried tomatoes


Combine ground flax, almonds and carrots in a large bowl.
In food processor blend until smooth the sun dried tomatoes, garlic, parsley, cilantro, and salt. Add this to the flax, almonds, and carrots. Add in remaining ingredients, and mix. Transfer back to food processor and blend until smooth. Spread on a teflex dehydrator sheet about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Dehydrate about 10 hours.

1 comment:

Naenay1012 said...

Do Ryan and the kids eat raw as well?