Sunday, January 18, 2009

Winter



We've had lots of snow and cold temperatures this week. It has been beautiful and rather fun to stay in and eat soup. We let the kids sleep in the same bed a few times this week to stay warm in our old home. I overheard Ethan and Ellia talking in bed on Thursday morning. Ethan said, "Ellia, I probably won't have preschool today because of all this snow so I can stay home ALL day and play babies with you if you want." And he did. It was so cute to watch them play house and build forts. It wasn't all domestic play though. They had their share of dart gun fights too:) We are calling Ellia Annie Oakley because she is precise in her shooting. She hit my dad in the eye or head 5 times in a row. The funniest part is she laughed hysterically every time she hit him. I recall laughing as a child when I hurt my dad in a wrestling match too. We also laugh when people fall.....I guess we need to work on the trait of compassion in this family line:)



We enjoyed many games this week while we were shut in. I could do without Candy Land and Memory for awhile though.

I had the kids drinking lots of fresh juice this week in attempt to keep away the winter bugs. Ellia LOVES carrot juice and gets her whole face into it. Sometimes I think hooking her up to a carrot juice IV would be a better choice. Or, I need one carrot juice shirt she can wear just when she drinks it. She won't drink it if I put it in a sippie cup. Ethan doesn't like the color of carrot juice with greens added so he asks me to "hide" it in a lidded cup with a straw and he'll drink it up.



We enjoyed a yummy salad for lunch. I cut up pear, avacado, red onion, and golden raisins on a bed of spinach and used this dressing recipe.
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup agave
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 cup olive oil

It was quite tasty and refreshing on a cold January day. Ryan braved the cold and snow to grill steaks from the freezer stash of our half of organic cow. We even had fresh strawberries for dessert. I guess I'm craving summer weather and produce........and sunshine for this pasty white skin:)

No comments: