Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Five and a half

This week Ethan turned 5 1/2. It's hard to believe. At school he will have his 1/2 birthday party tomorrow since he has a summer birthday. He is slightly confused thinking he might turn six a few months early. Ethan and Ellia helped me make ice cream cone cupcakes for his party. I remember my mom making these and surprising me on my birthday by bringing them in for my entire elementary class. I felt so special and they were a big hit with the class! I wanted to make something for Ethan's party and I let him choose between a few different treats. I love cooking with my kids. It's fun to get our aprons on, stools out, and work together. Ethan is quite excited to take his cupcakes to share with his class and he is happy to say that he helped make them(and eat a boatload of icing!) I made a moist Devil's Food Cake mix with fluffy white icing and we used a malt ball as our cherry on top:)





Ice-Cream Cone Cupcake Recipe
cake mix
ice cream cones with flat bottom

Frosting or whipped topping

Sprinkles or jimmies

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Make the cupcakes by filling flat-bottomed ice-cream cones 2/3 full with cake batter (no further or they will not cook thoroughly and they will overflow).

3. Place each cone in a cupcake baking tin for stability. Bake at the recommended temperature (350 degrees) for about the same time as cupcakes.

4. Using a pastry bag with a star tip, swirl the frosting or whipped topping on the cone like soft-serve ice cream.

2 comments:

Naenay1012 said...

Just looking at his yummy cupcakes put some extra junk in my trunk. :)

Renee said...

Happy 5 1/2 Birthday Ethan. Those treats look yummy!