Monday, October 13, 2008

Material Items I adore

I decided I didn't want to take Ryan's ugly lunch bag one more time to a work function......so I sewed myself one tonight. It only took 12 minutes to make. I used a Martha Stewart vinyl table cloth that I bought for $1.50 at the end of the summer season. I used a ric rac looking hair tie to loop onto the button. I'm happy to have a cute lunch to take to my conference the next two days! If you want a cute lunch bag too, I'd be happy to show you how to make one.

I also sewed this valance for our half bath tonight. It only took 20 minutes and it made out of a bed cover from Target that I bought for 7.98 at the end of the "going to college" season. It brightened up the bathroom and became a nice focal point while going potty........or training a two year old to go potty:) I also made the purse out of the same fabric tonight. Quite girlie but fresh!


I made this bag over the weekend out of a pillow sham that I bought for 99 cents at a Goodwill. I made the handles of
Anna Marie Horner fabric. This bag is a great airplane bag because it roomy enough for magazines and snacks.




How did I accomplish all of this sewing tonight with two young kiddos around? Well, I put them both to bed before 8pm because they were rather crabby and Ry had to work late tonight so he can stay home with the kids tomorrow while I present at the conference.

Another thing I've been doing to free up my time during the week is to do a lot of cooking for my family on Saturday or Sunday for the week. This Sunday I put chicken breasts in the crock pot with chicken broth and then I made white chicken chili out of it today. Then I made Chicken Parmesan, and taco kidney beans/ground beef combo for tacos. I froze the cooked meat mixture and will thaw it out on Thursday. While I'm gone tomorrow Ry can just warm up the chicken parm and make noodles and green beans. I've found that making at least three meals gets us through the week and then they eat leftovers one night and I usually make them pizza on Friday night.



I'm going to start posting "Material Items I Adore" aka "My Favorite Things" from time to time, in no particular order. I adore paper napkins. My mom passed along this love to me and she puts some in my Christmas stocking each year! I love using solid color dishes, a simple linen, and then a fun paper napkin to bring all the needed color and texture. Tuesday Morning is a great place to find cheap and unique ones. Fun and frivolous!

2 comments:

Naenay1012 said...

I am tired just reading all the stuff you did!

Connie said...

I adore the new sewing projects! And I love pretty paper napkins too! That's an awesome collection you have. How incredibly cute is that pink purse?