Thursday, October 30, 2008

I used to adore Sprinkles


What do I adore? Sprinkles.....love them! What do I not adore? Sprinkles..........all over my floor. So, I get a call from my husband saying that some people want to come through our house......VERY soon. I quickly get the kids for rest time and I notice that Ellia has lips radiating of red dye. I did't even want to think about what she found. But then I found it. I walked into Ethan's room and it was like a scene from a cartoon. I felt like my feet were going to fly in the air because there were sprinkles EVERYWHERE. Two entire bottles(they each had to have one, of course) of red, pink, and white sprinkles covered the floor in THREE rooms in our upstairs. Do I have the messiest kids on the planet? I won't even get into the fact that that all happened during a 15 minute gap of little supervision. I just yelled that statement in case you didn't hear that in my written tone. I didn't have time to sweep three rooms (I'm still yelling) but I had to and the entire time I was thinking about how I could greet these people that were coming to walk through my home in MINUTES......."Welcome to our sprinkle factory. Here's an iced cookie. Just feel free while you're looking around the house to dip it on my floor to decorate it. And, if you desire more, just take a scoop off of my son's bed. This home is fabulous, we've tried to keep it so nice. Oh, did you just break your back because you tripped on sprinkles?...I'm sorry. Hey, anyone feel like drawing a mural on my walls with chocolate syrup or rubbing vegetable oil on my kitchen floors? Cause, really. I'm feeling extremely proud to show you this house right now." Oh, the funniest part about this is that they were an older couple that really could have slipped on the sprinkles but I'm thinking they were actually too old to even see them! The older woman told me that she is so old her breasts hang down to her ankles. More information than I needed, but funny! They raved over the charm of the house while I was feeling like I lived in the town dump with wild animals. At age 31 the gap is just too far from a 5 or 2 year old to understand the sheer excitement over raining sprinkles in three rooms. I seriously tried to bring myself to that place of understanding. Who knows, maybe if I wasn't getting ready to show the house in 10 minutes(yelling) I would have grabbed the yellow sprinkles and tried to cover EVERY room in the upstairs. Being a parent is unpredictable, unplanned, stretching, and truly hilarious. I didn't even tell Ryan this story because at the time it was rather traumatic. I didn't even have a bra on, the lunch dishes were piled in my sink, I'd worked all day, and here I was sweeping bazillions of sprinkles up. Now the laughter is coming. I can shove unfolded laundry back in the dryer to hide when I need to show the house but what in the world could I have done with that many sprinkles? This may have tainted my adoration for the little things....the sprinkles and my children:) The kids and I had some interesting discussions following the house showing and I set up a rule that they are not to get in my sprinkles unless they ask me first. Like I'd ever say, sure! Go ahead and play with those sprinkles.........try not to dump them all over your bed and floor though:)

5 comments:

mia keesee said...

HILARIOUS, I would have yelled too at the appropriate times but it would have taken me awhile to Laugh!! when do you have time to blog my friend?? this is great...

Krysty said...

And you definitely should have posted those adorable pics of them at the end to remind us just how cute they are. Of course, we weren't thinking any different as you told the story!! :-) I imagined their cute faces with huge smiles as they threw those bottles in the air!
But you will probably sell the house on that one point...just b/c it seemed the less likely of all times and that's how God works!
Love ya Hayles...hope you got a bra on before they came.

Maria said...

I just had the best laugh! Oh, Haylee! I think your kids are too creative- they need to watch more tv. ha just kidding!

while Lily was napping I discovered another crayon wall mural. I guess this happened before church this morning. Ugghhh! I don't even know where she found the crayon. oh well

Hey, don don and I both have blogs now! donnie-onlife@blogspot and scatterjoytoday@blogspot. Donnie loves people to leave comments.:) love, ria

Connie said...

BAAAAAAAAAhahahaaaaaaaaa! I love it! And honestly, I rather would have seen your house in that state than the creepy old man that smoked 12 packs a day with the big stinky dog in the guest house of the one we saw the other day. Not to mention that he has kindly requested that he get to continue renting the guest house if we were to purchase it! Did I mention the creepy volted floor safe? It's all perspective, sugar! And I'd take Sugar over ashes any day!

Craig and Stacy Whiteman said...

Do you know what they call sprinkles in Australia?
Hundreds and Thousands...I think that title suits your situations to a tee haha!