Thursday, August 14, 2008



Before

I took Ethan to the dentist this week to have a filling. I talked with him on the way down there about how his cheek would feel funny while it was numb but that he needed to resist the temptation to bite it. I talked with him about it as he sat in the dentist chair and the nurse talked with him about it. But he just could help himself. He didn't just bit it once, he bit like 150 times. His lip was huge by the time we got home. I gave him so many popsicles that he probably has another cavity already. All this dentistry really got me thinking about how much bad stuff we put in our bodies. I just read about a girl that was raised on a 100% raw diet and she’s now in her twenties. She’s never had to go to the doctor or dentist. I’m thankful for modern technology in many respects but I just wonder if we mess ourselves up more sometimes. Now he has some foreign substance shoved down in his tooth. Thankfully he’ll lose that tooth and my hope is that we’ll limit sugar big time and fill his body with solid nutrition! Then Ethan and Ryan were having a sword fight and chasing each other. Ethan fell and bit the already swollen lip and it was bleeding everywhere. There goes the limiting sugar.......just call me the ice cream truck for wounded kids. Actually, I've been juicing fresh juice or buying organic juice and making our own popsicles this summer. They are really yummy and no high fructose corn syrup!

After


Oh, a whole other side of this story is that Ethan is very embarrassed about his lip because he bit it even though we asked him not to. So when people ask him what happened, he just looks down. Then I go into the dentist story. I'm sure people wonder if the poor kid was beaten. His Sunday School teacher came up to me after church and asked what happened because he wouldn't tell her.
I made some amazing raw lasagna tonight. I used thinly sliced zucchini and heirloom tomatoes as the "noodles." I made a "ricotta cheese", marinara sauce, and a pesto. It would have been even better had I dehydrated it for about 15-20 minutes to get it slightly warmed and dried up a bit. I didn't even feel heavy, full, or bloated after eating a huge piece.
I sewed this little owl tonight. I named him Ollie.





1 comment:

Naenay1012 said...

Poor Ethan.
The owl is very cute. It looks like something from Pottery Barn Kids.